Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How hard to change Ford 1992 E350 front brake lines?

I have done the rest of the steel lines at one time or another but now I must change the front. I am ok with the drivers' side but where is the line that runs from the drivers side flexible line over to the passenger side? I cannot seem to see it. I am also ok with bleeding the lines and double flaring but the line location has me stumped. The line change is because the steel line in question split when I bled the left caliper. It was frozen and I changed it along with the rotor and pads. The right side is ok but I put the new pads on anyway like you are supposed to do. They also call for the spindle nut to be set at 75 ft/pounds, then backed off 1/2 turn, then retorqued to 17 to 25 inch pounds. Is all that really critical? When I removes the old rotor it seemed to have some lateral freeplay (1/16th ?). At this time I do not have a torque wrench that small. The inner and outer bearings are new. I did it the book way before but I do not want to buy a dial torque wrench($250). THANKS!How hard to change Ford 1992 E350 front brake lines?First, you don't need a dial torque wrench for inch pounds. You can buy an inexpensive click wrench. Of course they're not as accurate as the expensive ones. But they're a heckofa lot better than guessing. And yes, bearing torque IS critical.



The brake line does NOT run from the driver's side to the passenger side. You have a split system. That means the front left and right rear are on the same circuit and the right front and left rear are on the other circuit. That's why you're not finding the passenger side line by looking at the driver's side.